Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fear

So, I tend to find myself being fearful of things and stressed over things. Generally, they end up being silly, but sometimes legit.

Today I found myself in so many odd situations that made me fearful. At work the main stone machine stopped working and the manufacturer of the machine is in Italy with no shops in the US. It was so stressful all morning long. It doesn't help that my boss handles his anger and frustration by yelling. I sat at my desk basically ducking behind the printer all morning. It would have probably looked funny. Thankfully, by early afternoon they got the machine running without having to fly someone out from Italy! :) Sometimes at work I have to make bad phone calls, for example, a job is running behind and we can't install as soon as they had anticipated, or calling people and asking for overdue payments. I know it is only a job, but I always tend to get fearful because I hate being the "bad guy."

Also, today, I got a text message from someone who wanted to talk. Now, usually that isnt a bad thing, but after receiving the message I got really fearful and nervous. What is wrong with me today?

I then began thinking how silly I am. Just last night in bible study we finished reading through Galations. Some of the background from Galations was Acts 13 and 14, so we read through that too. One verse specifically stood out to me when I was thinking of fear today.

Acts 14:19-20
Then some Jews came from Antioch and Iconium and won the crowd over. They stoned Paul and dragged him outside the city, thinking he was dead. But after the disciples had gathered around him, he got up and walked back into the city. The next day he and Barnabas left for Derbe.

Isn't that crazy that Paul, after being stoned and left for dead, ended up walking back into the city?

That is so cool that he trusts so much in God, that he was not fearful.

We also ended up going through Psalm 112 last night, and again, it talks about fear.

Psalm 112:7-8
He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. His heart is secure, he will have no fear; in the end he will look in triumph on his foes.

And finally, we just finished Galations, and have decided to start studying Ephesians this week. Well, it just so happens that in Ephesians it gives an awesome verse to help me in my "talk"

Ephesians 4:2-3
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

Do you think all of that is coincidence? Or God awesomeness?
I think God awesomeness :)

God is constantly teaching me and reminding me to trust in him and not have fear. With God on my side, what do I have to fear? We will all still experience hurt and sadness im sure, but God is always with us.

It also reminds me of this really cool Chris Tomlin Song
"On Our Side"

Everyone around the world
Hear the joyful sound
See the heavens open up
Hear the music coming down
Nothing's gonna separate us from the Father's love
I can't help but celebrate
'Cause we're not alone

If God is on our side
Who can be against us?
If God is on our side
We won't be afraid
Though the mountains may fall
And the sky will crumble
There ain't nothin' gonna stand in our way

Come on down to the riverside
Wash it all away
Leave behind your troubled mind
For an uncloudy day
Nothing's gonna separate us from the Father's love
I can't help but celebrate
'Cause we're not alone

No comments: