Friday, February 6, 2009

Wicked



Tuesday night I went with a group of friends to go see Wicked at the Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco. It was amazing. I heard such great things about it from friends who had seen it before, so I knew I wanted to check it out. Wicked is the prequel to the movie "The Wizard Of Oz." I don't want to blow any details but there are definitely lots of twists and secrets in Wicked. It made me question a lot of my opinions and impressions I had from the movie and I am really excited to watch it now with a completely different perspective.

I started thinking about real life too. How often do people judge me and come up with opinions on me without knowing me and my story? Or, how often do I do that someone else? It made me realize how sticky "surface" impressions can be. So often, we see people happy on the outside, but they are hurting deep down and don't want people to know. The great thing about God, is that he knows our hearts. We can't pretend for him.

Before we went in to see the show, we stopped and had some dinner at a Carl's Jr. that was a block away from the theatre. While we were eating a lady came up and started yelling and cussing at us. We did nothing to provoke her, and she kept calling us, "....bleep.... dot-commers." I guess she assumed that's what we were based off of the way we were dressed for the show. It breaks my heart that people have such hostility towards others. It also brings me back to the point of first impressions and how important it is as followers of Christ, to do our best at glorifying God through any situation, and realizing that not everyone knows who you really are on the inside.

2 comments:

Rashell said...

I agree completely! When I first read the book it made me rethink the "stories" I might have going on in my mind about others. Tuesday night just reaffirmed this.

Autumn said...

I struggled with that a lot after Wicked to. . .you can see the "WICKED GAP" on facebook note. Anyway, love that we're working through this and love that we got the chance to go see Wicked together!