Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Power Of Your Name

We sang this song at the young adults retreat last weekend. I love this song.

The Power Of Your Name - by Lincoln Brewster

Surely children were not made for the streets
And fathers were not made to leave
Surely this isn't how it should be

Let your kingdom come
Surely nations were not made for war
Or the broken meant to be ignored
Surely this just can't be what you saw

Let your kingdom come
Here in my heart

Chorus:

I will live
To carry your compassion
To love a world that's broken
To be your hands and your feet
I will give
With the life that I've been given
And go beyond religion
To see the world be changed
By the power of your name

Surely life wasn't made to regret
And the lost were not made to forget
Surely faith without action is dead
Let your kingdom come
Lord break this heart

Jesus your name
Is a refuge for the weak
Only your name
Can redeem the undeserving
Jesus your name
Holds everything I need

This song made me do a lot of crying, a lot of praying, a lot of processing.

The second line made me cry. "And fathers were not made to leave." When I sing the song I think of God and how he will always be my father and will never abandon me. However, I also thought of Cameron and started crying. I started feeling like a failure. A failure that I got pregnant in the first place, a failure that he doesn't have an 'earthly' father, and I haven't provided that for him, and a failure that I was gone on the retreat for the weekend and not with Cameron. Those are lies! God's truth is that he loves Cameron and myself unconditionally and he has an amazing plan for our lives.

Ok, I was going to list all of the lines that convicted me, or moved me in some way, but I realized, I would then be re-typing the entire song! Overall, I felt really moved to be active in my faith. Be a light for Jesus. I feel like I am a good person, but that doesn't mean I'm doing anything extraordinary. People see me and see that I am kind, but they don't necessarily see Jesus in me. At first glance, someone wouldn't be able to tell the difference between me knowing Jesus, and some other nice person, that is doing good, but doesn't know Christ. Does that make sense? So i feel like I need to do more. I want people to see me as salt and light. Not just another nice face. I feel convicted that we need to go and share the good news of Jesus. God is big enough and can move and conquer in great ways!

My heart broke when singing this song, thinking of all the unsaved. Thinking of all the abandoned children. Thinking of all the victims of human trafficking and slave trade. Thinking of all the lost and opressed. It's a sad world. But God's name HOLDS EVERYTHING WE NEED.

How did this song convict or move you?

No comments: