Thursday, November 20, 2008

Brian Schwartz - Strikeforce Destruction


My friend and old teacher Brian Schwartz is fighting at the HP Pavilion THIS FRIDAY November 21st! Everyone should try to go. It will be a great fight.

Here is why this fight tomorrow is such a big deal. He decided to give MMA a shot last November, broke his hand and lost. His first loss EVER. Well, Brian has trained and has challenged the exact same guy for a rematch. This is the article:

Schwartz Charges Back To The Cage With Vengeance In Mind
SAN JOSE, Calif. — Nearly a year after a broken hand spoiled his attempt to make a splash debut in the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA), an undaunted and undefeated world kickboxing champion, Brian “The Mad Stork” Schwartz, will return to the cage to revisit his initial showdown with Lemont Davis.“I’ve been working really hard to get back to where I was and I’m finally there and ready to go,” said the 34-year-old Schwartz, who sustained a broken left hand almost right out of the gates on November 16, 2007, when he threw a straight punch that glanced off the top of Davis’ head. The injury minimized Schwartz’s effectiveness and allowed Davis to take the fight to the ground several times. Davis, also a seasoned kickboxer and competitor in Chuck Norris’ World Combat League (WCL), was unable to advance his position on the ground, but was declared the winner by way of judges’ decision after three rounds of action.The injury he sustained forced Schwartz to don a cast for two months, after which he slowly began to re-engage in strength training and road work. “I think I underestimated the game and thought I was too fast for those guys to wrestle me down to the ground. I’m committed to keeping this fight standing and, if I had to guess by the way he was unable to submit me the first time around, I would think he’s committed to standing too.” Schwartz’s MMA debut came two years after his final kickboxing conquest, a fifth round KO of Michael Corleone in San Jose on October 21, 2005. The bout was originally slated to be Schwartz’s last. It wasn’t long, though, before the 6’3” native of Foster City felt the urge to re-enter organized combat, this time under a set of rules that could force him to scrap on the canvas as well as on his feet.While grappling has become more routine since he took his first roll around on the mats, striking will always be Schwartz’s forte. A student of Tae Kwon Do since the age of five, Schwartz went on to join the professional Sport Karate circuit and, later, became one of the most dominant superstars in full-contact rules kickboxing, a hybrid sport combining Karate and western boxing. Schwartz finally realized his longtime dream on November 12, 2004 when he captured the International Sport Karate Association (ISKA) World Super Middleweight Full-Contact Kickboxing Championship by earning a 12 round unanimous judges’ decision over four-time kickboxing champion, Tom “The Bee” Bottone, at San Jose’s Civic Auditorium.

Here is a little bit of his background: I started my professional career in martial arts after receiving my black belt at the age of 15. My martial arts career is highlighted by 6 World Championships in Sport Karate and a spot on the U.S. National Team. After retiring from karate, I went on to pursue a career in professional kickboxing. After 16 bouts and victories, I won the ISKA World Super Middleweight Title. I retired from kickboxing in 2005 undefeated, with a record of 18-0 w/11KO's. I am now training for the big kickboxing comeback in November 2008

No comments: